Before hunting for the top pre-workout or intra-workout supplements in the market, you shouldlook into the best multivitamins for bodybuilding first. That’s right. Not only kids, geriatrics, sickly people and picky-eaters benefit from a daily dose of multivitamins and minerals, the athletic sorts too.
While the not-so-active people in the prime of their lives can usually get by without taking any supplements, bodybuilders and athletes could really use additional doses of the more than 30 essential nutrients that our body needs but cannot produce on its own. To say that it is for compensating for the extra physical exertion and sweating involved in their daily program is an understatement.
More than just providing additional energy, vitamins and minerals perform and cause various biochemical actions in your system to keep you alive and active.
Individually and collectively, they play essential roles in building and strengthening bones and muscles, boosting immunity, repairing tissue and cellular damages, improving blood circulation, and more. All of which are indispensable in bodybuilding, wherein you need to stimulate muscle pumps and fuse together protein strands on a more frequent basis.
Both vitamins and minerals have two major classifications:
There are water soluble (B-complex) and fat-soluble (A, D, E, & K) vitamins. The former can be absorbed and circulated quickly into the bloodstream, while the latter are usually transported by protein molecules and can be stored in the liver and fat tissues for a considerable period of time.
Minerals, on the other hand, are classified as Macro Minerals, which our body utilizes and store in copious quantity, and Trace Minerals that although we need only in small amounts, are as equally important.
To determine the best multivitamins for bodybuilding, we should scrutinize the composition of each product and see how many and how much of the following vitamins and minerals are included in the formulation:
|For healthy eyesight, immune system, mucous membranes, bones, and teeth.
|Vit. B1 (Thiamine)
|Protection against stress and various diseases. Aids in the digestion and absorption of simple carbohydrates
|Vit. B2 (Riboflavin)
|Aids in red blood cells production. Helps prevent premature aging and development of cardiovascular diseases.
|Vit. B3 (Niacin)
|Helps increase HDL cholesterol and reduce LDL cholesterol.
|Vit. B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
|Boost production of sex and stress-related hormones including testosterone. Promotes skin health.
|Vit. B6 (Pyridoxine)
|Helps regulate amino acids and fight inflammation. Increase production of serotonin and melatonin.
|Vit. B7 (Biotin)
|Helps regulate blood glucose and maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails.
|Vit. B9 (Folate)
|Helps fight memory loss and depression.
|Vit. B12 (Cobalamin)
|Aids in the production and circulation of oxygen-bearing hemoglobin.
|Vit. C (Ascorbic Acid)
|Boost immune system and helps prevent and heal cell damage.
|Aids in the body’s efficient calcium absorption.
|Protection against toxins, free radicals, and cell degeneration
|Essential for maintaining skeletal and cardiovascular health.
Build and maintain strong bones and teeth. Also essential for normal heart and nerves functions.
|Essential for maintaining normal metabolism and electrolyte balance. Helps regulate blood volume and blood pressure.
|One of the most crucial minerals. Plays an active role in at least 300 biochemical functions of the body.
|Helps maintain bones and internal organs healthy. Regulates hormones and keep them balanced.
|Improves muscle strength, metabolism, and electrolytic functions. Helps protect the body against hypertension, cardiovascular and renal dysfunction, and more.
|A vital electrolyte and component for causing effective muscle contraction and enzymes utilization.
|One of the basic building blocks of amino acids and glutathione, a powerful antioxidant.
Aids insulin in transporting glucose into cells for energy conversion. Involved in the metabolism of macronutrients.
|A material for collagen production. Enhances the body’s iron absorption.
|A key mineral for synthesizing thyroid hormones that regulate the body’s metabolic system.
|A vital component of red blood cells that help transport and store oxygen in muscles and other parts of the body.
|Essential for bones and connective tissues formation, as well as for the production of sex hormones and blood clotting factors.
|Stimulates enzymes and catabolizes certain amino acids in preparation for muscle building.
|Vital for the body’s thyroidal and reproductive functions as well as healthy blood circulation.
|Essential for muscle building and testosterone production. Increases immunity and metabolic efficiency.
Please take note that we are barely scratching the surface in describing some of the many functions and benefits of each vitamin and mineral.
Listed above are just the basic stuff to look for in a multivitamin formulation. Added substances that enhance protein synthesis and nitric oxide production and circulation are definitely plus factors.
Our top 5 Picks for the Best Multivitamins for Bodybuilding
#1 Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Daily Multivitamin Supplement
This product is both multi-awarded and a certified bestseller. In fact, not only that it ranked #1 among the Top 10 Men’s Multivitamins in the 2015 Muscle Awards, it also received an SVN Platinum Award in the same year.
It is manufactured and distributed by a globally reputable company that also owns other successful brands in the field of sports nutrition. Opti-Men is a cGMP and FDA certified supplement specifically designed for active men.
- It contains ample amount of all the essential vitamins including the complete B-complex.
- It has 7 out of 8 trace minerals mentioned above along with calcium and magnesium.
- It contains BCAA or Branched-Chain Amino Acids in the recommended 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine, as well as all the other essential amino acids needed for muscle growth and enhanced athletic performance.
- It contains a proprietary blend of phytonutrients extracted from various fruits, cruciferous vegetables, berries, green tea, deodorized garlic, and other antioxidant-rich plant foods. To name a few of the listed ingredients, it has wild yam, Brussel sprouts, grape seed, kale, spinach, cranberries, black currant, and carrot root.
- It is also composed of powdered plant extracts that are deemed to increase male virility and testosterone level such as gingko biloba, Panax ginseng, saw palmetto, and nettles.
- It is also mixed with enzymes that aids in the digestion of macronutrients as well as several extra ingredients intended to promote strong bones, muscles, and organs and deliver many other health benefits, including good blood circulation and more robust immunity system.
- It has lycopene, which promotes prostate health and a few other substances that are strong antioxidants.
- It consistently rates high in consumers and critics’ reviews.
- Even though bodybuilders need to take it 3 times a day, it is still practically affordable with each pill usually costing between 14 to 18 US cents only.
- Has a money-back guarantee.
- It only contains 2 macrominerals, calcium and magnesium. Both of which are in low dosage covering 5% and 20% only of daily value, respectively.
- It is really high potency so you might have a weird tingly feeling the first time you take it. This will go away in time as your system adapts to the dosage. It also helps to hydrate frequently with cool clean water.
#2 MuscleTech Platinum Multivitamin for Adults
This is one of the best-selling and most favorably reviewed multivitamins for bodybuilding in America. Produced by a highly reputable company in a cGMP and FDA certified facility in the US, MuscleTech Platinum is quality assured to be safe and effective.
It has also garnered awards and citations both in product quality and in the field of innovative scientific research through the years.
- It contains a complete line-up of both water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins in substantial quantities.
- It has ample doses of 3 macro minerals namely, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as well as 4 essential trace minerals such as zinc, manganese, copper, and molybdenum.
- Formulated to support muscle building, improved athletic performance, and fast recovery, it contains amino acids and nitric oxide causing substances. It includes citrulline malate, alpha lipoic acid, l-arginine, and glycine, among others.
- It also contains a mixture of fine herbal extract that delivers disease-fighting antioxidants, energy and mood enhancing substances, and vitality and virility enhancing properties. It includes green tea, saw palmetto, green coffee, grape skin, Panax ginseng, and turmeric.
- It is also laced with the enzymes amylase and papain to optimize the body’s absorption of nutrients. It likewise contains substances that amplify the potency of minerals such as boron, inositol, and chloride.
- All ingredients are fully disclosed and clearly quantified.
- It is one of the most affordable multivitamins for bodybuilding in the market with each pill costing only about 13 US cents each.
- It causes a slight stomach discomfort to a few people when taken for the very first time.
#3 MusclePharm Armor-V Multi-Nutrient Complex
Formulated specifically to enhance athletic performance, MusclePharm Armor-V is quite unique as it gives utmost importance on fatty acids, organic compounds, and probiotics.
It is actually one of the factors that this product made it to our list of best multivitamins for bodybuilding. It also consistently rates high in customer satisfaction index.
- It contains a complete set of water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins.
- It has 11 essential minerals for optimum muscle growth including calcium, zinc, iodine, magnesium, potassium, and molybdenum.
- It has a superfood blend comprised of more than 20 fruit, vegetable, and herb extracts. It includes spirulina, kelp powder, chlorella, barley, wheat grass, berries, broccoli, and more.
- It also contains substances that are good sources of omega-3 and omega-6 such as fish oil, coconut oil, flaxseed, etc.
- It is also composed of various blends, each one focused on a particular health function. It has an Antioxidant and Immune Blend, a Probiotic Blend, an Armor Blend, and a System Maintenance and Detoxifying Blend, each one composed of organic substances derived from plants.
- Most users notice that besides giving an energy boost, it also improves one’s mood. An emotional high, so to speak.
- The suggested dosage is 6 capsules a day, which is not only hectic for many but also costlier as compared to other supplements of its class.
- Some of its main components can be considered under-dosed.
- Some feared that it is potentially addictive because of the unusual “high” they get from it.
#4 Gaea Superfood Multivitamins
This product took a completely different approach in its formulation by centering on a mixture of more than 40 fruit, vegetable and herb extracts that are considered superfoods, thus the name.
Building around said proprietary blend, Gaea Superfood Multivitamins was formed into a full spectrum source of energy and muscle building nutrition.
- Not only that it contains ample doses of all the vitamins discussed above, but also almost all the essential macro and trace minerals.
- It is also comprised of powdered extracts from almost all identified superfoods in the plant kingdom. Among them are acai, pomegranate, goji berry, grapefruit, mangosteen, spirulina, green tea, spinach, tomato, spirulina, ashitaba, alfalfa, milk thistle, turmeric, blueberry, and more.
- It also contains a combo of digestive enzymes that not only intensifies the effects of each vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant in this formula but also from the actual food you eat.
- Besides what is in the proprietary blend, it is also loaded with supplemental plant extracts and other substances that promote muscle growth, vitality, and virility. It includes coenzyme Q10, Panax ginseng, mushroom complex, flaxseeds and oats powder, choline, boron, lecithin, soy isoflavones, gingko biloba, and more.
- It is fairly priced.
- Besides giving your urine a vibrant hue, which is fairly common in most multivitamins, some noted an increase in the frequency of their bowel movement.
#5 GAT Men’s Multi + Test
Designed for bodybuilders, this product does not only aim to plug nutritional gaps but also increase the body’s testosterone level. The said hormone boost is not only meant to restore sexual vitality but also increase one’s capability to build muscles and torch stored body fat.
Manufactured in an FDA and cGMP certified US-based facility and audited by a third party testing lab, GAT Men’s Multi + Test is sufficiently quality assured.
- Contains all the essential vitamins mentioned above, as well as 10 essential minerals.
- It is added with boron and tribulus fruit powder as testosterone boosters. The former promotes overall liver health and improves the body’s ability to absorb and process other minerals. The latter, on the other hand, is known for its aphrodisiac effect as well as a blood circulation enhancer. It likewise elevates mood and reduces stress and anxiety.
- The product is also comprised in part of a proprietary blend of herb, fruit, and vegetable extracts that include wild yam, green tea, cranberries, citrus bioflavonoid, spirulina, blueberry, carrot root and more. They provide antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents and tremendous energy and stamina boost, among others.
- It also contains other substances that improve overall health such as choline, lycopene, lutein, alpha lipoic acid, and inositol.
- It consistently gets top rating in many critics’ and consumers’ reviews.
- Reasonably priced.
- It seems to target specifically the mature male demographics with dwindling testosterone level and not much the younger generation of bodybuilders.
- The distributor does not ship orders to some overseas countries.
OUR FINAL VERDICT
Although we find each of the discussed products to be effective and safe, we still need to give our ultimate pick. If we will only choose the best multivitamin for bodybuilding, we will go for Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men as it clearly contains a hefty serving of the essential vitamins and minerals, as well as other supplemental nutrition that suits active people.
A word of caution: Please consult your physician first if you have any pre-existing medical conditions before taking any of the discussed supplements. Another thing, do not abuse or overuse any form of clinically formulated multivitamins as it may cause toxicity to your liver and other adverse effects. Anything of excess can be potentially bad.