5 Top-Rated BCAA Supplement Products for Men
BCAA or Branched-Chain Amino Acid, composed of leucine, isoleucine, and valine, is one of the essential bodybuilding supplements available to you. It actually composes 1/3 of the total essential amino acids your body need for building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
It is also one of the fastest acting supplements as BCAA has the ability to bypass the liver, instantly enter your bloodstream, and immediately reach your skeletal muscles. Finding the best BCAA for men is a cinch if you know all the basics about this substance.
You probably heard it dozens of times before that amino acids are the building blocks of protein, which in turn causes the enlargement and strengthening of your muscles. In fact, amino acids are directly involved in every physiological aspect of bodybuilding. Among the other benefits of taking the best BCAA for men are the following:
- It raises the rate of protein synthesis, which decreases the degree of muscle breakdown, or catabolism, particularly when you are cutting back on calories, or your body is in the state of fasting.
- According to studies, athletes and bodybuilders who supplement their training with threshold doses of BCAAs have lesser visceral fat in their midsection.
- People who regularly consume BCAA supplements while in training attests to having more energy and stamina to tackle intense workout sessions.
- Regular BCAA supplementation has been proven to be advantageous in the process of both muscle hypertrophy and recovery.
- Several clinical trials determined that BCAA helps increase glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity in healthy individuals. It also shows a lot of therapeutic potentials for diabetics as they help improve metabolic markers.
- The majority consensus of regular BCAA users affirms that it helps reduce workout fatigue and muscle soreness.
BCAA works more actively as a protein synthesizer in our muscle cells when the tissues are being subjected to intense and repeated stress. It means, when you are pumping iron or doing any form of resistance training, BCAAs are also hard at work in performing their role in muscle growth.
And since men tend to train harder and lift heavier weights, their individual BCAA requirement is also greater. Even though you can obtain BCAA from dietary proteins such as meat, fish, and eggs, it was found out that the more copious amounts provided by supplements are highly beneficial in bodybuilding and sports activities.
Many fitness experts suggest that men should take 5-7 grams of BCAA during a workout and another 5-7 gram after. Small adjustments can be made on the dose to proportionately match your bodyweight and training program. You could use a bit more amount if you are over 200 lbs. or about to engage in high-intensity resistance training.
Listed below are 5 of the best selling and highly rated BCAA products in the market. It includes some helpful information to help you in choosing the right one for you:
1. Scivation Xtend BCAAs
It is manufactured, packed and distributed by a cGMP compliant North Carolina-based company, considered one of the most reputable players in the sports nutrition industry.
Scivation Xtend BCAAs has been accorded various honors over the years by several award-giving bodies in the fitness circuit at large, including being named both as the “Best Intra-Workout Supplement of the Year” and the “Best Recovery Supplement of the Year” in 2012 by Bodybuilding.com.
- Every serving scoop of this product amounts to 7 grams of BCAA in the recommended 2:1:1 ratio (3.5 grams leucine / 1.75 grams isoleucine / 1.75 grams valine). One to two scoops dissolved in 16 to 24 oz. of water would be ample to hydrate and protect a well-built guy’s muscles from catabolism during and after a high-intensity workout.
- It also contains in each serving scoop a proportionate amount of L-glutamine (2.5 grams) and an electrolyte-replacing blend. The former is an essential amino acid that aids in improving your athletic prowess and the ability to build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- Available in 12 flavor variants including Strawberry, Kiwi, Grape, Green Apple, Lemon Lime, Orange, Pink Lemonade, Raspberry, Watermelon, and Mango.
- Sold in 30-servings and 90-servings tubs at. A 5-scoop trial pack is also available.
- It only contains a gram of citrulline malate per serving scoop, which many think is too little considering that said compound is very helpful in inflating muscle pumps. It appears to have been added only as a catalyst to strengthen the effects of BCAA in the body.
- Some of its flavor variants don’t agree well with a lot of consumers. While some great ones are not always available
- Many fitness pundits argue that some of the product’s claims are not sufficiently supported by long-term and unbiased clinical tests.
2. BPI Sports Best BCAA Powder
For what it’s worth, BPI Sports differentiates their product by stating that they employ “Oligopeptide-Enzymatic Technology” in manufacturing their BCAA powder. Apparently, they individually fortify each of the three components of BCAA with three more essential amino acids, namely glycine, alanine, and lysine.
This bonding process supposedly prevents premature breakdown of the leucine, isoleucine and valine molecules in the stomach so they can be optimally transported to the skeletal muscles.
- Based on the stated formulation in the label, it likewise contains the recommended 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
- BPI Sports, a highly reputable company in the field of sports nutrition is the manufacturer of Best BCAA Powder. They employ a strict quality standard that involves engaging the services of Chromadex to test and audit all their products.
- Every 10-gram serving of the product also contains a gram of a proprietary CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) blend and 250mg of Agmatine Sulfate. The former is said to stimulate fat catabolism and a common ingredient in many fat-burning supplements, while the latter is known for its analgesic effect, thus minimizing muscle soreness during workout and recovery.
- It is available in 10 sugar-free flavor variants that include Fruit Punch, Cherry-Lime, Passion Fruit, Grape, and Peach Cobbler. Moreover, there are 2 tub sizes: 30 servings and 60 servings, of which the prices vary according to the flavor.
- It rates well in consumers’ satisfaction index both in terms of product effectiveness and palatability.
- Many felt that with you are not getting the full weight of pure BCAA per indicated serving, as each of the three main substances is modified with the addition of three more essential amino acids (glycine, alanine, and lysine).
- As per label indication, each 10-gram serving only contains 5 grams of modified BCAA
- One major drawback however is it’s quite pricey.
3. BCAA 2:1:1 (Branched-Chain Amino Acids) by Bulk Supplement
Produced and distributed by a Nevada-based company focused on selling pure and no frill sports nutrition products. BCAA 2:1:1 (Branched-Chain Amino Acids) by Bulk Supplement, like any of the company’s other merchandise, is commonly sold in a plainly branded re-sealable aluminum pouch.
No fancy colorful packaging design, no marketing spiel, and no fancy additive ingredients. Just straight up plain or capsulized BCAA powder.
- It contains the standard recommended 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
- It is produced in a cGMP-rated facility.
- It is available in various forms. Besides the plain BCAA powder, you can likewise buy it in a gel capsule or vegetarian capsule form.
- The products are available in different volume packs. You can purchase the BCAA powder in 100-gram pack; 250-gram pack; 500-gram pack; 1-kg pack; 5-kg pack ; and 25-kg pack. Both gel and vegetarian capsules, on the other hand, are available in packs of 100’s and 300’s.
- It is one of the most affordable BCAA supplements in the market making it an excellent investment.
- It is 100% organic BCAA powder and does not contain fillers, carbs, and artificial flavoring. Unlike many other BCAA supplements in the market that are blended with other organic or chemical compounds, this one gives you the liberty to set or adjust your dose without the risk of overloading or under-dosing on other stuff.
- BCAA 2:1:1 (Branched-Chain Amino Acids) by Bulk Supplement is one of the most positively reviewed products in its category. So far, it has already garnered a 4.5 stars average from almost 7,000 consumers. It likewise consistently fares well in other costumers’ and critics’ reviews.
- It has no added flavoring so it tastes exactly how a pure BCAA powder does, which is tart with a hint of bitterness. Some suggest that you put a little stevia and citrus juice, or some commercially available flavor packets to make it more palatable.
- It doesn’t contain an electrolyte-replacing ingredient so you need to drink plenty of water intermittently as well, if you plan on using it as pre, intra, and post-workout supplement, so you can keep yourself properly hydrated while in training.
4. Vintage Build – The Essential 3-in-1 Muscle Builder with BCAA
A California-based company known to be a non-compromiser in terms of quality and transparency manufactures this supplement. It is actually a blend of three of the most classic and well-tested ingredients for muscle-building and fat-burning formulas.
Besides BCAA, which constitutes almost half of the powder composition, it is also made up of Creatine Monohydrate (approx. 30%) and L-glutamine (approx. 20%). This is actually an epitome of the company’s product philosophy that shuns untested fancy, exotic and fad ingredients.
- Every 11-gram serving of this supplement contains 5 grams of BCAA in the recommended 2:1:1 matrix, or within the minimum amount required for men of average build.
- Each serving scoop also has about 3 grams of creatine monohydrate and 2 grams of L-glutamine. The former is a provider of energy fuel for muscular movements and contractions, while the latter promotes and maintains digestive, cognitive and muscular health, among other benefits.
- It has a well-balanced ratio of BCAA and 2 other main ingredients. Meaning, you can double your BCAA serving without the risk of overloading on the other substances, thus enabling you to use it as pre, intra, and post-workout nutritional.
- It consistently rates high in terms of effectiveness from both hardcore and moderate body builders, as well as athletes.
- It costs higher than many of its competitors in the BCAA market per serving. However, if you will factor in the inclusion of creatine and glutamine, the tag price is fairly reasonable.
- Available only in two flavor variants: Fresh Berries and Lemon Lime.
5. BSN Amino X Endurance & Recovery Powder
Named “BCAA Supplement of the Year” by Bodybuilding.com in 2014, BSN AMINO X Endurance and Recovery Powder is one of the bestselling intra-workout supplements in the market.
It is being manufactured by a reputable US-based, which is among the major players in bioengineering and sports nutrition industry. This supplement, along with the company’s many other bodybuilding and fat-burning products, features a proprietary blend along with other plain ingredients.
- The company obviously invests heavily in R&D to produce a proprietary blend of anabolic amino acids. Other than BCAA (leucine, isoleucine & valine), the 10-gram scoop serving also contains other essential amino acids such as L-Citrulline, L-Alanine, and Taurine.
- Each serving also contains 500 IU of Vitamin D to strengthen our bones and teeth by improving our body’s ability to absorb calcium and other minerals. It also helps in regulating insulin production and circulation, thus reducing our risk to diabetes and other dangerous diseases.
- It has 9 great-tasting flavor variants you can choose from, including Watermelon, Strawberry-Orange, Fruit Punch, Tropical Pineapple, Green Apple, Grape, Blue Raz, and Strawberry-Dragonfruit.
- Consumers and critics are consistently giving this product favorable reviews and high ratings in terms of effectiveness.
- At 10 grams of amino acids, this product offers one of the highest amounts of protein builders. However, the amount of each component is not clearly stated, making you wonder how much BCAAs you are actually getting and if they have the optimal ratio of leucine, isoleucine and valine.
- At first glance, this may seem to be among the most affordable supplements in the market. However, the recommended daily dose is 2-servings a day. If you will do the math, this product is not exactly the most affordable in its category.
Each product discussed here has its own merits and hitches. When choosing which one is best for you, you might want to consider if you also need the other listed ingredients. If you are stacking with other supplements, you should cross check each indicated components in every label to avoid any redundancy, deficiency, or overdosing in each of the substances you are taking.
On the other hand, if economizing is the most important factor in making your decision, then pick one product that can provide you with other fitness nutritionals other than just BCAA. Another thing to consider is the flexibility that the product can give you to adjust dosage according to your particular built, weight and fitness goal.
Besides being naturally heavier than women, men’s body weight largely varies, so, to get the most benefit from BCAA supplementation you should be able to take the optimum amount according to your particular requirement, at every given time.
Please take note also that all the prices reflected here are subject to changes and various external factors such as delivery location, order volume, etc.