5 Bestselling Non-Stimulant Fat Burners That Work
Why opt for non-stimulant fat burners over other traditional weight-loss supplements? Fat-burner products have been competing well with muscle-building supplements in terms of sale, for as long as I can remember.
In this day and age when almost every global brand advertisers are flashing us daily with images of models and celebrity endorsers with well-chiseled physiques in all forms of mass media, it is no surprise that the fitness supplements market is also on the rise.
Sales figures for fat-burners would even spike before and during the summer, or as many of us called: the bikini season.
Most fat burners contain ingredients that cause thermogenic effect or the process of increasing the core body temperature through metabolic stimulation, thus enabling it to burn more calories.
The problem though is that many products use powerful stimulants to achieve said effects such as ephedrine, guarana, caffeine in high doses, and other potentially dangerous substances that can also be found in many so-called energy drinks.
Some of these kinds of stuff are not only possibly addictive, they can also cause other adverse effects such as jittery feeling, sleep pattern disruption, and worse, adrenal gland stress.
For said reasons, it is better to go for non-stimulant fat burners even if you don’t have allergies or low-tolerance for concentrated caffeine and other adrenaline modulators.
But if you do, it is better to just stick to supplements that mainly carry lipotropic factors (more on that later), or even B-complex vitamins. Or better yet, consult a doctor first before choosing a product.
Now, let us take a closer look at some of the most widely used ingredients in the formulation of various non-stimulant fat burner supplements in the market:
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC)
ALC is a compounded form of L-carnitine, an important amino acid that gives energy to most of our cells. Our livers and kidneys can naturally produce carnitine and even convert them to ALC and vice versa.
Both L-carnitine and ALC play an important role in maintaining and improving brain, heart and muscles functions and can also be obtained from food proteins and dietary supplements.
ALC is likewise used medicinally to help cure or manage symptoms of Alzheimer’s, erectile dysfunction, infertility, cataracts, nerve pains, and other diseases. It is likewise a testosterone and growth hormone (GH) booster, which tremendously helps in the process of building muscles and burning away body fats.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
CLA is composed of at least 28 isomers of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-6). It is not naturally synthesized by our body and therefore obtained from food such as dairy products and cattle meats like beef and lamb.
It is commonly incorporated in many fitness supplements for its apparent active role in accelerated fat loss and muscle mass retention.
CLA can also potentially lower your LDL cholesterol level and strengthen your immune system, as some short-term studies suggest.
One drawback for taking an excessive amount of it is the prospect of some intestinal and stomach discomforts that may include diarrhea and nausea.
The recommended intake for CLA supplements should not exceed 3.5 grams per day. Moreover, they are not recommended for children, pregnant women, and people with a heart problem.
- Green Tea Extract (GTE)
Although green tea, which is derived from the plant Camellia Sinensis, is known to contain caffeine, it is still commonly mixed with a non-stimulant fat burner or pre-workout supplement formula.
While GTE gives you an ominous energy boost and heightened alertness, it doesn’t stress your adrenal gland and liver or make you skittish.
Green tea is also rich in catechins, particularly EGCG (epigallocatechin-gallate), which is found to be effective in destroying cancer and tumor cells, as well as various free radicals and toxins that endanger our health.
Many clinical studies also proved that GTE helps rev up our metabolism and induces thermogenesis that leads to fat loss.
- Lipotropic Factors
There are four known lipotropic compounds, namely choline, inositol, methionine and betaine hydrochloride. These are essential nutrients that help eliminate or inhibit the buildup of fatty deposits in our body by mobilizing and utilizing them for energy.
Although each one has individual functions and specific sources (e.g. choline can be found in cattle organ meats, eggs, soy, and seafood, while inositol can be found in legumes, meat, and whole grains), they are all vital in keeping our liver healthy and our metabolism active.
They perform various tasks in our body such as preventing bile and fats from getting trapped in our liver and helping said organ to produce more lecithin, which in turn, makes cholesterol easier to burn.
- Raspberry Ketones (RK)
RK are natural chemicals that give raspberries its delicious aroma. Other fruits such as kiwi, peaches, and other berries have similar components that make them more appetizing.
That is why they are usually extracted and used in the production of various foodstuffs such as ice cream, cakes, and pastries, and in various kinds of medicines and cosmetic products.
There are few studies that claim that RK causes fat and weight loss to test subjects, but many medical scientists maintain that further trials are needed to actually reach an indisputable conclusion.
Nevertheless, they make non-stimulant fat burner supplements more palatable. Plus, there are no recorded side effects from this substance whatsoever.
- Garcinia Cambogia Extract (GCE)
Extracts from the rinds of garcinia cambogia (also called garcinia gummi-gutta and Malabar tamarind), a citrus fruit that is native to Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia, recently gained popularity in the weight-loss products market.
This can partially be attributed to Dr. Mehmet Oz’s 2012 TV pronouncement that said substance can miraculously burn body fats even without the aid of dieting and exercising.
About two years later, the Senate Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Product Safety has castigated him for making such unwarranted claims on-air.
GCE is said to be rich in hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which according to some studies speeds up fat burning as well as suppresses a person’s appetite.
It allegedly blocks citrate lyase, the primary enzyme that causes lipogenesis and cholesterogenesis, or in layman’s terms, the progression of fat and cholesterol.
There are several studies though that refutes GCE’s supposed effectiveness in weight loss. There were even some contentions that it can cause damage to the liver, the primary basis of which is the Hydroxycut controversy.
However, it is premature to lay the absolute blame on GCE, as the said weight loss supplement contains many other ingredients.
Nevertheless, GCE may cause side effects to some people and may interfere with the effects of other medications, so it must be taken cautiously and if possible, with doctor’s approval.
Here are some of the leading non-stimulant fat burners in the market that contain at least one or several of the ingredients discussed above. We selected products that have been gaining favorable reviews from actual users based on their effectiveness and value for money.
1. Evlution Nutrition Lean Mode Stimulant Free Fat Burner
This OTC product is in capsule form and contains 4 of the 6 ingredients listed above, namely Garcinia Cambogia Extract (60% HCA), CLA, Acetyl-L-carnitine, and Green Tea Extract.
Each 3-capsule serving has 500mg each of the first 3 ingredients mentioned, and 250mg of the last one. Its other main active ingredient is Green Coffee Bean Extract (GCE) at 500mg per serving.
It is derived from unroasted coffee beans that contain high level of chlorogenic acid, which is said to enhance glucose metabolism and accelerate fat burning.
- It apparently always fares well in numerous consumer reviews and has been consistently getting 4 to 5 stars users’ satisfaction rating. Many even attest to getting positive visible results in as short as two weeks of use when combined with proper diet and exercise.
- Causes ominous energy boosts without jittery feeling and sugar rush and crash effect.
- No reported adverse side effects. No vague proprietary blend, which means each ingredient, is clearly listed with their corresponding amount or weight.
- Available in 2 sizes. The 30-serving (90 capsules), while the 50-serving (150 capsules) bottle sells at Amazon.com (as of this writing).
- It practically contains caffeine with the inclusion of green coffee bean extract in the blend. It would have been fine if this product is not clearly classified as “Stimulant-Free”. It may not cause any adverse effects to most users though.
- Some fitness experts opine that the product went heavy on ingredients that still require further studies to unequivocally prove their effectiveness, particularly in fat burning.
2. Old School Labs Vintage Burn Thermogenic Fat Burner
To start with, this product contains a lot of plant-based components including 3 of the 6 ingredients earlier discussed such as 330 mg of green tea extract; 200mg of raspberry ketones; and 100mg of garcinia cambogia extract per serving.
A substantial amount of green coffee bean extract is also included in its formulation, along with a few other plant extracts including that of olive and bacopa leaves and forskohlii root.
- Old School Vintage Burn Thermogenic Fat Burner consistently scores well with the consumers. It even garnered a 4.5 Stars average rating from more than 3,600 reviewers in one online forum alone.
- A lot of its extra plant-based components are traditionally believed and moderately proven to have nutritive and curative properties. Olive leaves are used for medicinal purposes for centuries. It is said to promote healthy blood circulation, strong immunity and cardiovascular wellness.
- Bacopa leaves are believed to help reduce stress and improve brain function. Forskohlii root is the source of forskolin, a chemical used to treat various skin, respiratory, and digestive disorders. It is also known to boost metabolism and address urinary issues including sexual problems for men.
- It contains chrysin, which is said to be helpful in impeding the conversion of testosterone molecules into estrogen. It supposedly plays a role too in the process of breaking down fat and building muscles.
- It is a bit pricier than most of its market competitors. A 60-serving (120 capsules) bottle of Old School Vintage Burn Thermogenic Fat Burner currently retails at Amazon.com. Furthermore, it usually doesn’t have a “money back guarantee” offer.
- Like many diet pills, this product contains several ingredients that are not sufficiently proven effective by unbiased clinical studies. Some ingredients that are still subjects for lengthy debates in the medical community are the garcinia cambogia fruit and the raspberry ketones.
3. Burn-XT Thermogenic Fat Burner
This product does not woo you with a long list of scientific sounding ingredients. Instead of throwing in as many of today’s most hyped “fat-burning” substances in its formulation, its manufacturer decided to just stick to only five ingredients that are already proven safe, effective and uncontroversial.
As the name implies, Burn-XT Thermogenic Fat Burner is primarily formulated to cause your body’s core temperature to rise in order to burn stored fat, particularly in adipose tissues.
- By limiting the number of ingredients, the manufacturer was able to provide hefty dosages of two of the safest and highly effective fat-burning ingredients in our above list, namely, acetyl-l-carnitine (700mg/serving) and green tea extract (450mg).
- It contains 2 proprietary capsule formulas: Capsimax® Cayenne Pepper and BioPerine® Black Pepper. The former is known to be effective in lowering cholesterol, improving blood circulation, and curing various illnesses, while the latter possesses antibacterial and fat-burning properties.
- It consistently rates high in users’ satisfaction category as many users corroborate the product’s main promises. Besides being a fat-burner and muscle-preserver, among its other vowed effects include curbing one’s appetite, revving up metabolism, and improving mental acuity.
- It can also be used as a pre-workout supplement as it gives you a sudden surge of energy. However, it is not advisable to take it before bedtime for the same obvious reason.
- One issue about its formulation is the inclusion of caffeine anhydrous. Not because it is deemed a dangerous substance, but rather, it is contradictory to being included in the non-stimulant category.
- It is also a bit pricey and available only in one packaging size option. It is sold in a container with 30 capsules each, or the equivalence of 15 servings at Amazon.com.
4. Evlution Nutrition Weight Loss Trans4orm Thermogenic
In stark contrast to the previous product, Trans4orm seems to have a little bit of everything you can expect from a health supplement.
The manufacturer seemingly purposed to create multivitamins, a slimming capsule, and a cognitive enhancer rolled into one.
- It has B-complex vitamins such as B3, B6, B12 and Folic Acid, which collectively bring a lot of health benefits. It includes regulating and keeping our nervous and digestive systems healthy, producing hormones and red blood cells in our body, and breaking down proteins for energy and muscle growth.
- It contains mood and energy enhancing ingredients such as Choline Bitartrate, L-Tyrosine, and TeaCrine®, a proprietary formula said to be a nature-identical theater, which has an energy boosting effect that helps improve athletic performance.
- It features both thermogenic and lipotropic factors by having green tea extract, black pepper extract, and A-GPC, a form of choline in the mix.
- Like other products in this list, Trans4orm also got a top notch trust and satisfaction rating from consumers.
- In spite of to its non-stimulant label, it contains a cocktail of caffeine sources that are primarily causing thermogenesis. It has caffeine anhydrous, synephrine and pure caffeine, albeit in low and relatively safe dosages.
- With so many ingredients, which also include Rauwolfia Vomitoria Extract (root bark) and Huperzia Serrata Extract (club moss), crammed into a 275mg serving, it’s probable that you are getting just a minimal dosage of some of its major components.
5. Cellucor CLK Stimulant Free Fat Loss Toning and Sculpting Formula
This product only contains 4 main ingredients. 3 of which are discussed above, namely L-carnitine (500mg/serving), CLA (1.7g), and Raspberry Ketones (100mg).
Its 4th main component is SlimPro® Protein Hydrolysates of Blue Whiting, a BCAA-enriched fish peptide that is found to increase production of hormones that regulate appetite and satiety indicator.
- Contains all-natural ingredients that getting adverse side effects from this product is very unlikely.
- Among the products we featured here, Cellucor CLK is the only one that has absolutely no caffeine in any form. In fact, many users notice that it doesn’t cause any caffeine-like effect like restlessness or giddiness. You will just know it is working through the visible results in your body.
- A high percentage of consumers expressed satisfaction on the synergetic effect of its main ingredients in both the fat-burning and muscle-building department.
- There is soy lecithin added to the mix. At moderate amount, it is potentially helpful in improving, liver, kidney and gallbladder function. The product also contains beeswax, which could be beneficial for hair and skin health
- It comes in a soft gel capsule form with a delightful essence and flavor hint of raspberry.
- It comes out really expensive, as the recommended dosage is 6 capsules a day.
- Many hardcore or even moderate bodybuilders are not happy with the absolute lack of hyper-stimulating effect of the product.
Based on numerous testimonies and consumer reviews, there are non-stimulant fat-burner supplements that definitely works. However, effects may vary from user to user due to several factors.
For example, each one’s natural body type, lifestyle, diet, and regular physical activities should be put into consideration to determine how and when these supplements will actually produce positive visible results.
No matter who will say it, do not believe that it is possible to lose body fats and keep it off by taking fat-burners alone. You have to make a conscious effort to exercise regularly and improve your diet, as well as your sleeping habit if you want not only to look good but also feel good.
Another thing to remember: do not abuse or overuse slimming supplements. Besides not going overboard with the dosage, it is advisable that you don’t use them continuously for a long period of time. 8 weeks should be the maximum time, and then let your system rest for at least a month or two before starting a new course.
Disclaimer: All product prices reflected here are based on current published rates at Amazon. They may vary from time to time or in the inclusion of many other factors such as possible delivery charges, volume discounts and special promotions.